When your gum tissue becomes infected over time, it is referred to as periodontal disease or gum disease. If it is not treated, by its advanced stages it can result in the loss of teeth.
What is gum disease and what causes it? Listed below are some signs and symptoms:
– Gum disease often carries with it symptoms of damaged gums that appear flush with color, bleeding constantly, tender when touched, and swollen and inflamed.
– Gum disease can be caused by bad habits such as smoking or chewing tobacco, using drugs, or dry mouth symptoms caused by medications.
– Gum disease often causes your gums to bleed easily from simple tasks such as brushing and flossing or eating.
– Gum disease can cause halitosis, also known as bad breath, to occur frequently, and return even after you freshen your breath.
– Gum disease can slowly cause your teeth to move out of place, and make them feel loose.
– Gum disease often has the prominent feature of pulling your gums back away from your teeth, exposing the roots of teeth or making your teeth appear longer than normal.
For more information about gum disease, schedule an oral exam with Dr. Waleed Rhebi and our team at Eastside Periodontics, by giving us a call at 586-757-5454. Our dentist office is conveniently located in Center Line, Michigan. With the help of our team, the pathway to a clear smile can be followed.