If your oral hygiene begins to suffer, you could end up with the beginning stages of gum disease known as gingivitis. For a better understanding of the basics of gingivitis, listed below are some important facts to think about:
– Poor oral health habits such as smoking or chewing tobacco can cause gingivitis to develop.
– Gingivitis can be caused by poor oral hygiene, especially if you fail to brush your teeth twice daily and floss once daily.
– If left untreated, gingivitis can lead to severe gum disease and eventual tooth loss.
– Gingivitis is usually first spotted in your gums that bleed regularly or easily.
– If your gums are showing signs of excessive redness, swelling, or tenderness in your gums, you may have gingivitis.
– Bad breath, also known as halitosis is a known symptom of gingivitis.
– The risk for developing gingivitis can be caused by pregnancy, genetics, diabetes, and medications.
Gingivitis can be treated with the help of our licensed professionals at Eastside Periodontics. To book an appointment with Dr. Jack Schwarcz at our dentist office in Center Line, Michigan, please contact us at 586-757-5454. We look forward to hearing from you soon!